EWG-DSS is a Working Group on Decision Support Systems within EURO, the Association of the European Operational Research Societies.
The main purpose of the EWG-DSS is to establish a platform for encouraging state-of-the-art high quality research and collaboration work within the DSS community. Other aims of the EWG-DSS are to:
- Encourage the exchange of information among practitioners, end-users, and researchers in the area of Decision Systems.
- Enforce the networking among the DSS communities available and facilitate activities that are essential for the start-up of international cooperation research and projects.
- Facilitate professional academic and industrial opportunities for its members.
- Favour the development of innovative models, methods and tools in the field Decision Support and related areas.
- Actively promote the interest on Decision Systems in the scientific community by organizing dedicated workshops, seminars, mini-conferences and conference streams in major conferences, as well as editing special and contributed issues in relevant scientific journals.
The EWG-DSS was founded during a memorable EURO Summer Institute on DSS that took place at Madeira, Portugal, in May 1989. This Summer Institute was organised by Jean-Pierre Brans and José Paixão. It counted with the participation of 24 young researchers of 16 different nationalities.
Most of them still continue nowadays to pursue their goals, working actively in their research areas. The number of EWG-DSS members has substantially grown along the years. Now we are 104 members coming from various nationalities. There has also been established quiet a few well-qualified research co-operations within the group members, which have generated valuable contributions to the DSS field in journal publications. Since its creation, the EWG-DSS has held annual Meetings in various European countries, and has taken active part in the EURO Conferences on decision-making related subjects.