The EWG-DSS is the Working Group on Decision Support Systems within EURO: the Association of the European Operational Research Societies.
The EWG-DSS was founded during a memorable EURO Summer Institute on DSS that took place at Madeira, Portugal, in May 1989 (EWG-DSS History).
The main purpose of the EWG-DSS is to establish a platform for encouraging state-of-the-art high quality research and collaboration work within the DSS community. Other aims of the EWG-DSS are to:
- Encourage the exchange of information among practitioners, end-users, and researchers in the area of Decision Systems.
- Enforce the networking among the DSS communities available and facilitate activities that are essential for the start-up of international cooperation research and projects.
- Facilitate professional academic and industrial opportunities for its members.
- Favour the development of innovative models, methods and tools in the field Decision Support and related areas.
- Actively promote the interest on Decision Systems in the scientific community by organizing dedicated workshops, seminars, mini-conferences and conference streams in major conferences, as well as editing special and contributed issues in relevant scientific journals.
The circle below illustrates the process-loop that translates the main activities of the EWG-DSS envisaging the dissemination of DSS Information (1) and Research (2), in order to encourage DSS Development (3) and Collaboration (4) among the DSS researchers and professionals. As a consequence, Publication (5) opportunities to document the research & development processes and the end results are promoted within the EWG-DSS editions.
Specifically, to accomplish the main objectives listed above, the EWG-DSS promotes the following key-activities:
- Annual ICDSST Conference and other Conference-Streams organization related to Decision Support Systems topics. See “Conferences“.
- Annual Journal Special Issues publications, on support of the annual EWG-DSS organized Conferences, providing publication opportunities in the DSS Community. See “Publications“.
- Annual EWG-DSS Newsletter publication, promoting the events and the research achievements of the EWG-DSS members and of the DSS Community as a whole. See “Newsletters“.
- Annual EWG-DSS-Award: a motivating research initiative for young researchers to submit and present their work in one of the EWG-DSS annual organized events. See “Awards“.
Collaboration projects among the group members. Check about the EWG-DSS research project Collab-Net Project, as well as the R&D competences of some member-institutions listed for collaboration in European projects.
The EWG-DSS is currently composed of more than 300 registered members and managed by a Coordination Board, which is supported by a well-defined management structure. See further description about it on the pages “Members” and “Coordinators” of this homepage.
Further information about the birth of the EURO Working Group on Decision Support System and its founders, you find in “EWG-DSS History“.